Skip links

Lost & Found Stories

All the fun without the risk! Tough moments are never truly gone when you’re signed up to our Lost & Found service. Read how our Tough photographers were reunited with their memories after registering their camera.

Peter's TG-4 Story

On a trip to Swildon’s Hole beneath the Mendip Hills in Somerset, Peter Hall dropped his Tough TG-4 and thought he’d never see it again. “To cut a long story short, my Tough TG-4 fell from my pocket in a cave in near flood conditions,“ recalls Peter. “With the roaring and foaming water, I had no chance of finding it. The cave is over 9km long and has a vertical range of nearly 170m. I lost the camera about half an hour into a trip that lasted about eight hours; I had hoped to take some photographs at Sump XII, the 12th and final flooded section of the cave.”

With almost all hope lost Peter posted a message on the UK Caving forum about his loss. “I never really expected it to be found and even if it was, it would have been smashed to pieces anyway. To my amazement it was found four days later considerably further down the cave, having been thrown down waterfalls as much as 20 feet high, bounced off boulders and washed through a sump (completely submerged cave passage).” The camera was returned to Peter the next day and he was surprised to find that it still worked…

“The above image was taken on my TG-4 and is me preparing to dive Sump IX in Swildon’s Hole in July 2017. The water can be quite clear heading in, but on the way out after the silt has been stirred up you have to navigate the constricted and undulating passage in near zero visibility.”

“There wasn’t even any moisture inside the covers and not a scratch on it!”

“It had been inside a small neoprene pouch, but this would have done little to protect it from the full force of nature that it was subjected to!”

Much more to Peter’s surprise was that during the drop the camera recorded a 22-minute video of total darkness. “The audio tells its own story, you hear the camera fall and the roaring water goes quiet as it bubbles along underwater before being thrown down a waterfall. We all knew that the TG-4 could take some excellent pictures underground in the right hands, but I think I’ve proved that in the wrong hands, the TG-4 is pretty much indestructible!”

Find out more about TG-4

Lost & Found

Sign up today for the Olympus Lost & Found service. Simply register your Tough! camera at MyOlympus – should you lose it and someone finds it, they can let us know and we will contact you to organise its safe return.

Sign up now

Mark's Tough Adventure

Mark Treleaven-Jones has always had an Olympus Tough camera as he enjoys many outdoor activities. “The TG-810 has been my longest lasting model. It’s been with me everywhere, from family holidays to kayaking expeditions into the Norwegian fjords and cross-country ski tours in sub-zero temperatures across Norwegian mountain plateaus,” he told us. “For the last two years, since retiring from my previous occupation, I have worked as a freelance water sports instructor. I find my students love to look back on photographs of themselves enjoying the various waterborne activities, so the camera has had quite a hard-working life spending all day, every day, in and on the water with some amazing results. I always took the time to recommend the model to all those students looking to buy waterproof cameras.”

In May 2017 Mark lost his camera to the sea at Colwyn Bay in North Wales at the bottom of a slipway, but that wasn’t the first time it had taken a beating as Mark had previously lost it underwater on a water park ride in Florida. “I waited, on the advice of staff, 40 minutes for the water to circulate around the system and, sure enough, retrieved the camera.”

“In all it had spent about an hour underwater and, although a little scraped from the concrete bottom, it was still in perfect working order.”

On the more recent occasion the TG-810 was submerged for three months, wedged between two rocks before it was found. “The particular spot is submerged by the incoming tide for around four hours before the tide recedes, twice a day, so around eight hours in all, EVERY day, for three months! In that time, we also had several storms. When found, the battery was still charged, the viewing screen still worked and the camera functioned perfectly as it should. Cosmetically, it has taken a battering, but it functions as it should do,” he says.

In the belief that he would never see his beloved camera again Mark had started shopping for a new camera. He has now taken the TG‑810 on one last journey to Norway with his son, before upgrading to the TG-5.

Find out more about TG-5